The packaging industry must constantly reinvent itself to meet evolving consumer and business needs. One of these demands is sustainability. Flexible packaging is an example of green packaging that allows companies to enhance the convenience, marketing value, and efficiency of their production operations. Learn more about the various types of flexible packaging as well as their applications and benefits across different industries.
What Is Flexible Packaging?
Flexible packaging is a dynamic solution that uses non-rigid materials to package and protect products. According to the Flexible Packaging Association, this type of packaging should readily change shape when filled with a product. They include roll stock, stand-up pouches, bags, sachets, stick packs, films, and more.
The materials themselves can be made from plastic film, paper, or foil. Some packing structures combine two or more materials for added protection, durability, and convenience.
Types of Flexible Packaging
Available in formed and unformed configurations, flexible packaging is dynamic and customizable to fit specific needs. Formed packaging lets you fill and seal the product in-house, while unformed products come in rolls that you send to a co-packer for formation, filling, and sealing. Because the flexible packaging material is pliable, it can come in various customizable styles, including:
- Printed Pouches: Printed pouches are preformed, heat-sealed packets printed with product and brand information to bolster your marketing efforts.
- Stand-Up Pouches: Stand-up pouches are brandable bags designed to stand upright. They come in various sizes and sealing options, such as pour spouts, sliders, and zippers.
- Sachets: Sachets are flat, single-use packets commonly used in the pharmaceutical and personal care industry, though they are also ideal for distributing samples in trade fairs. They consist of layered packaging materials.
- Printed Roll Stock: Printed roll stock are unformed sheets of pouch material preprinted with your branding information. The sheets are bundled into rolls for easy handling as you send them to your contract packer, where they’re formed, filled with products, and sealed.
- Stock Bags: Stock bags are formed, blank pouches that you can use as-is or brand with labels for marketing purposes.
- Custom Packaging Roll Stock: In addition to bearing your company’s branding, these unformed roll stocks can be customized for chemical resistance, puncture resistance, high barrier, or other special requirements.
Flexible Packaging Materials / Products
At FOCUSales, some of our popular flexible packaging products include:
- Stand-Up Pouches: Colorful, sleek, and versatile, stand-up pouches are ideal packaging solutions for food and non-food products alike. The bottom gusset on stand-up bags allows your products to stand up on the shelf and catch consumer attention. Solid, powder, or liquid products won’t leak, spill, or prematurely lose their freshness in these pouches.
- Flat Pouches: Made from premium-grade films, flat pouches are an attractive way to present your product to the market. These pouches feature clean, crisp images and vibrant colors. Flat pouches are an ideal packing solution for single-serve products.
- Side-Gusseted Pouches: Side-gusseted pouches feature gussets on both sides and a seal at the top, allowing them to stand up on a flat bottom. These pouches square out when full to maximize storage space and facilitate easy display. They’re popular with packaging tea, coffee, and cereal.
- Roll Stock: Roll stocks are an incredible way to customize your packaging and branding efforts. These sheets are printed on premium-grade films and branded using superior digital printing technology. Branded roll stocks allow you to create various packaging products at a great price point.
Flexible Packaging Industries
Flexible packaging materials are crucial in any business vertical that can benefit from innovative packaging. Here are some of the popular types of flexible packaging in select industries.
- Food & Beverage: Sachets, pouches, roll stock, custom printed bags
- Cosmetics: Flat sample bags for foundation, concealer, lotion, and cleanser; resealable packages for wipes, makeup removers, and cotton pads
- Personal Care: Single-use flat pouches for medicine; sample bags for personal products
- Household Cleaning: Single-use flat packets for detergent and cleaning powders
Flexible Packaging Applications
Flexible packaging has a wide range of applications across different products.
- Food: Flexible packaging keeps food products fresh, healthy, and nutritious. We offer resealable, leakproof, and sanitary food packaging, whether your product is in powder, liquid, or solid form.
- Candy: Our premium, flexible candy packaging offers exceptional protection against light, moisture, and humidity.
- Detergents: Flexible packaging lets you present your detergents, bleaches, and fabric softeners in colorful, durable, and leakproof containers.
- Lawn chemicals: In addition to providing aesthetically pleasing, leakproof flexible containers, we can equip them with sealable nozzles for easy usage.
- Surgical instruments: Sanitation and hygiene are top priorities when packaging surgical instruments. Our innovative packaging solutions seal off contaminants that could compromise the instruments.
- Cosmetics: Cosmetics come in all shapes, colors, and sizes. Our diverse packaging solutions allow you to package tissues, wet wipes, creams, gels, perfumes, and more.
- Pet food and snacks: We provide flexible packaging solutions for raw, wet, and dry pet food. They will remain fresh and nutritious for longer periods of time.
- Nutraceuticals: Durable, sealable packaging materials allow your nutraceuticals to retain their potency and improve their shelf life.
Flexible Packaging Benefits
Flexible packaging comes with myriad benefits:
- Improved efficiency: Since flexible packaging uses malleable materials, the process consumes less base material and less energy to improve turnaround time.
- Eco-friendly: Many flexible packaging materials are reusable and recyclable, and producing them uses less energy than inflexible packaging.
- Customizable package design: Pliable packaging materials enable greater design freedom.
- Enhanced product life: Flexible packaging can be made impervious to UV rays, moisture, dust, mold, and other contaminants. Our packaging products are specially engineered to meet your specific needs and extend shelf life.
- Ergonomic packaging: Flexible packaging lacks the bulkiness of the traditional rigid packets, making your products easy to buy, carry, and store.
- Easier shipping and handling: Lighter products translate to lowered shipping costs—savings you can pass on to your contractors and customers.
Flexible Packaging from FOCUSales
Flexible packaging is a cost-effective, more sustainable way to dominate the market. This solution enhances both functionality and aesthetics, ensuring your products stand out to consumers.
FOCUSales is your reliable flexible packaging partner. We use state-of-the-art flexible packaging equipment and materials to serve clients in diverse industries. If you’re ready to boost your marketing and packaging efforts, contact us or request a free quote today.